The governing body provide strategic direction and accountability in school. The Headteacher is responsible for the day to day management of the school and the Governors provide supportive critical challenge. Individual Governors do not act independently of the rest of the governing body, decisions are the joint responsibility of the governing body.
The role of the governing body is:
- To set high standards of educational achievement
- To set the aims and objectives for the school
- To set policies to help the school achieve aim and objectives
- Monitor and evaluate the progress school is making
- Manage the schools finances
- Appoint staff and monitor staff performance
The governing body consists of:
- The Headteacher
- One elected staff governor
- Two parent governors
- One Local Authority governor
- Six co-opted governor
The standard term of office for a governor is four years. The Chair and Vice-Chair are elected annually at the first meeting of the academic year.
The governing body meets six times each year for full governing body meetings. Not all governors sit on every committee, see committee roles and attendance on the document below.
There are also sub committees meetings throughout the academic year. The sub committees are;
- Joint review group - The purpose of this committee is to monitor all aspects of the schools work around pupil attainment and progress, including all aspects of of pastoral work which includes areas such as attendance, behaviour, safeguarding and children's spiritual, moral, social and cultural development. This committee also monitors the School Improvement Plan and School Development Plan.
- Resources committee - The purpose of this committee is monitor the schools budget and ensure that all funds are are spent appropriately to best meet the needs of the pupils. This committee also monitors staff performance, agrees pay progression and ensure the Teachers pay policy is implemented effectively. Premises and health and safety are also monitored by this committee.
- Headteachers performance management - This committee assesses the performance of the Headteacher and sets his/her objectives for the coming year. This committee is also attended by the School Improvement Advisor from the Local Authority.